Youtube Videos!

The Wyoming boys are trying their go at video. We have a ways to catch up with Captain Swallowtail and Media Feliz. Anyhow, Tom Turiano got some footage of Derek Collins and I in Adams Apple Rapid on Willow Creek in the Wyoming Range. We will work on a sound track next time.

Willow Creek

North Buffalo Fork

Includes Alpackas on the Canning River.

In favor of better quality I’ve switched to Vimeo,
here are my latest offerings:

Shot by Jeff Conaway, Shoutdiggity, and Dial.

Edited by Dial.

Music by Modest Mouse.

Ingram Creek rapids: Cabin :astonished: , Breach Baby, Green Room are the first three drops.

Ship Creek canyon and some of the upper boulder gardens…

We ran Little Su at around 300 cfs. Bony, hectic, and if you stay in your boat, plenty o’ fun.

This video puts a bunch of the steep creek drops together. It’s sort of how I feel when I’m running something new and hard: a bit hectic.

As my son says,
“It has a sort of tense, sinister, paranoid feel, where the boaters are on edge and the water’s a little too tough.”

Roman,

You are a Packrafting Sensei, your paddle an aquatic Bo Staff!

Great vids. (o:

Higher rez here: http://www.youtube.com/v/7D1Hk0rGiAc

Just trying to work out how youtube works, as I have some footage from recent NZ trip to post, and in doing so found 2 videos from Roman D that have been posted in the last month.

Interested to see, Roman, that your older style boat seems quite long (I presume that you’re the guy in the video, although this may be very presumptious!), compared to my ?yaks (the mid sized boat), and that you attach your pack to the back of the boat, not the front. ?Why. Given that I’m forever having trouble getting water over the back, as the front sits high without a pack on it, your boat seems to sit very flat ?how come - have you got lead feet???

Andrew Allan

Here’s my favorite video from our recent NZ trip. It shows more hiking than boating, but that’s cause we did more hiking than boating and with one boat it’s hard to get boating video.

Here’re the first few days of the Arthur’s pass to Erewhon Station.

Dr. Andrew asked about how the boat stays flat: first the boat is longer on the inside than a Fjord Explorer (=dory) and so when I put too much weight on the bow it handles weird. So I put weight on the back and strapped about five pounds on the bow too. I designed it for two people. I’ll eventually put up our Torres del Paine video and you can see us get in the boat and paddle away, too.

Also, with an open boat I like my bow to ride high as it keeps waves out as I can deflect them with the high bow. I find open boating and decked boating to require different techniques.

For those of you interested in more details about our packrafting trips in Patagonia and NZ we have posted a blog with text, pics, and VIDEO clips at http://packrafting.blogspot.com/

Some video from Torres del Paine

Looks like fun. Also looks like you need to be able to quick-release your pack so you can get it upright for re-entry. :slight_smile:

Nah, quick releases are for flatwater paddlers :laughing:.

What I need to do is keep the ole’ Kangaroo pocket on the anorak empty so it doesn’t get in my way!

Have at last managed to beat the demons that have prevented me sorting out how to upload to youtube.

This is some footage from our recent 10 day packrafting/flyfishing trip into the Kaharangi NP in the Sth Island of NZ, the flyfishing having been deleted!

My idea of an afterwork packrafting adventure. See the Lower 48 forum question of the same name for other descriptions.

Some packrafting from last weekend in the upper reaches of the Geehi River, NSW, Australia (yes, we do have white water!) - and only 7hrs drive from Melbourne!!

Enjoy.

Andrew Allan

Everyone seems to have gone stagnant on this particular post…come on! Having a specific post related to youtube stuff makes it so much easier to find them again than having to search through the “geographic” posts.

I went fly-fishing the other day with a mate, and introduced him to packrafting. This is the vid. Perhaps not as exciting as some of the other posts…but I hope he’ll be a convert…and we seem to need some more in Oz (and NZ…are you guys all mute???).

Off to NZ next week to fly-fish the Ugly R for a week and a bit, and then raft out along the Karamea. Hoping to meet up with Roman on the way out , as he comes to terms with some previous Karamea “demons”.

It looks great on Google Earth, with several NZ grade 4-5 rapids (note - not PR grade 4-5, but NZ grade 4-5!) along the way - if interested , check out Google Earth for “Karamea, West Coast NZ”, and then go inland 10km, north 7km, then NE 7km, and you’ll find the Ugly R, which is where we’ll start rafting after fishing it for a week. hoping to meet up with Roman half way up the first “north” section mentioned above.

I’m presuming all 3 of us will end up at Karamea, and that one of us will be able to post on this forum!

AA