Yak or Llama

Hi I’m interested in an alpacka raft but am unsure of which model to go for. I;m 6 foot and 65kg and i will use the raft for backpacking and whitewater rafting. WHich model do you think would be best?

Thanks, Jay

Go for the Yak.

Unless your legs are abnormally long, you’ll be “swimming” in the Llama when you run whitewater.

On the other hand, a couple of the best whitewater packrafters I know strap their dry bagged gear inside their boat’s bow and use that to brace against. They are your size, or even a bit shorter, and enjoy the extra stability and flotation of a bigger boat but get around the too much leg room by filling the space. You need to have something to brace your feet against so you can paddle pirouette and brace effectively.

My own experience is that a bigger boat is more stable in rowdy and big water but that without filling the leg space with solid bracing (and having a back rest) you’ll be sliding down in the boat and feeling like you’re climbing 5.11 face moves in an army boot two sizes too big.

Definitely the Yak. I am 6’2" and the Llama is just a tad too long for me. I have to stuff a wine bladder into the front of the boat to brace against. And the wine relaxes me for the big drops.

ok thanks. Yak it is then i guess

I recently dealt with this same issue. I am approximately 6’ to 6’1. I am fortunate enough to have friends that own both llamas and yaks that I have been able to use over the last few years on varying types of water in different conditions. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a yak this year. I inflated it and spent a fair amount of time on the living room floor in the boat trying to make sure it was the correct fit. While I agree that the tight fit of the yak is preferred for more rowdy water, I always found that the boat was a little tight for comfort in the slower stretches, and I experimented with deflating the backrest, different shoes, etc… The new Alpacka has the lace-in style seat and it is adjustable. I exchanged the yak for a llama and laced the seat in to the more forward position which pushes my feet firmly to the front of the boat, but not in an uncomfortable way. I think that this will be good for me since it is slightly more of a custom fit. I really do like the tight fit in these boats for the added control, and I think that I have the right mix with the llama with the adjustable seat. Time will tell.

Adjustable seat! Yahoo! I have been begging for that for 6 years.

Scoot forward for whitewater, kick back for the Yukon.

Maybe I’ll have to buy a new boat.

dont you just hate it when you think you know which one then someone tells you one more bit of information and you hav to start all over again. thanks everyne for your help

You dont have to buy a new Boat Roman. I just removed the sewn in seat by cutting the stiches. Drilled holes to the remaining leashes on the boat and tied the seat (I usually just tie the grab between back rest and seat ) in the preffered position. However, there is a limit by the volume in the backrest (one ends up back laying). Using a Dory/Explorer elevated seat is a solution, but there is also the limit in the position of the spreydeck.

Bonus: Seperated seats make REALLY nice pillows :slight_smile:

Sven

For the record, the new seat isn’t officially adjustable… it’s removable, but the lace-in method can be used to move it forward by an enterprizing boater - bearing in mind that this will reduce the security of the connection to the boat, thereby perhaps causing rip-out, etc. Though that’s not what it was designed for, I’d be the last guy to say that personally I use my boat only in ways Sheri intended. At your own risk :smiling_imp:

Not to steal someone else’s thread but which boat would you sugest for someone my size, 6’5" 220-230 lbs (36" inseam).

Thanks, Shane

Hi Shane,
This should help: http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm?section=tips-and-technique&page=Choosing-and-Outfitting-Your-Raft&viewpost=2&ContentId=2672
Al

Been wondering the same thing. (6’ 0", 200 lbs, bike-rafting and whitewater)

Seems Llama is the way to go if you don’t mind doing some adjusting and adding of support in the bow and prefer a little added stability. While for straight inflate-and-go the Yak works better (and minimum carry weight).

Basic conclusion: you can make a larger boat tighter but you can’t make a smaller boat looser.