Shipping to Canada...Duty Free?

Hey all,

Getting ready to purchase our first packraft and before I do I just wanted to confirm, from any of you in Canada who have bought one, that the raft can be shipped to Canada duty free? As I understand it the raft is built in the US so should be duty free (yep…fully know I’ll have to pay the applicable taxes), but after getting burned quite badly once for duty on a tent I just want to double check. Looking forward to getting our raft!

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick,

There is a duty exemption for importation of sport goods since about 2010. Ask the people at Alpacka to write on the export form of the boat sport good and, generally, the canadian customs officer will apply the exemption.
In the case of your tent, i suppose it was exported as something like camping equipment and, to some folks, when there is no hockey stick involve, there is no sport.
I wish you as much fun with your packraft that i have with mine!

Cheers,

Pierre

Thanks very much Pierre!

Yeah…tent came in marked as a tent, but the powers that be decided it should be classified as “textiles”. 17% duty on an expensive tent…ouch. As you can probably guess arguing with any government agency to get money back is much like arguing with your wife…you probably aren’t gonna win and if you do the battle wouldn’t have been worth it!

cheers,

Rick