Scout or Alpaca

We are in doubt for which type of packraft to buy… we are lightweight backpackers with plans for quite big long-distance thru-hikes in Arctic Scandinavia, Nepal (Great Himalayan Trail) and Southcentral-Patagonia in 2012 and 2013. To expand our wilderness travel and thru-hiking possibilities we would like to add a floating device in our gear to cross big rivers, large (glacial) lakes, fjords, sea outlets or to simply float down gentle rivers (not the crazy above class 2 type of rivers). When it becomes too windy on possible crossing and waves are too scary we will probably not cross and wait out or hike alternative routes. We have no white water experience.

Weight AND volume is really an important factor is choosing the right type of gear, so we are still in doubt between the stripped down Scout (which comes without a seat???) or the Alpaca/Yukon. We really are tempted to take the Scout because of weight/volume, but it still has to be save enough for multiple months wilderness travel, where we could probable floating down some rivers for a couple of days in between hiking.

Hopefully somebody can give some more insight in the Scout, because I don’t find a lot of user review/experience with the Scout version.

Thanks a lot,

Our adventures => www(you know what)patagoniandreams(you know what)com (i can not put url’s here because i am new to the forum)

How about a double (Duck or Explorer)? Split it is lighter per person than any other.
You can save weight by the paddel too.

Mayby to be considered!

Sven

Ps. The scout is without a seat!

thx for the answer… we were considering the double duck in fist instance… but we were/are concerned that we are not so versatile with this boat and that it only can handle VERY calm waters…

is it designed to be paddled by 2 persons paddling? or just 1 person paddling?

can it handle up to class 2 waters like the scout can? because if you float down “gentle” rivers, you can always have some “windy” stretches with some “waves” and some “rapids”… especially on the big lakes and rivers we want to paddle in Patagonia.

I only find Ryan Jordan’s video from a double duck… but it seems to be an older version, without the “extended” bow design…

love to hear some more insights on this, because i think my wife will probably be more into splitting one boat then she sitting alone…

our blog => patagoniandreams (DOT) com

That is why I recommended the Explorer. It has a higher bow, and even more volume in the Stern. Thus can ride waves better. I d say, an Explorer with 2 is capable the same as a Scout with one, as this has onyl 10" tubes. The double duck has too little volume in the bow in my opinion.

Open water class II should not be a problem with an explorer, expect to get wet though of course.

Stres test (no capsize, but a total fill up :slight_smile: https://picasaweb.google.com/101973310751134091151/WildwasserImPackraft?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmwlsu--Z-y_gE#5385121752095421266

I ran the old explorer a lot as a double, but is is originally designd as a single nevertheless (a rowboat infact)

Sven

thx again!

so if I get it right… we can fit with 2 in an unrigged explorer… equip the boat with 2 seats (it comes standard with 1 seat) and still get our 2x 60-70L packs with us in comfortable way to float down gentle rivers for a couple of days? aible to handle up to class 2?

hmmmm that might be the boat for us…

I second my reply to you from the PM here, as this might intresst other too. Also, here is a vid for double use! http://vimeo.com/33067315

For fitting 2 people by two large packs you have to be creativ. It is possible though.

I 'd skipp the seats (also less weight!) and use the packs to sit on (at least parts of it). Have one midum filled pack middel to front inside, best in a lateral position. Have Katrijn sit on. The other one put in the back part and sit on yourself (or wise verca, this is no gender suggestion :wink:

The rest you can put on the bow (also extra protection for waves!) and a small package on the stern.
(also extra backrest:). I recommend paddling canoeing style face forward. This is more efficient and a staight line (half the weight also).

That way I ll send you compfortable long streches calm water (actually faster and more efficient than any other configuration) and also sections of Class two, but they should not be the majority, as you will take water in from time to time and need to dump. Flowtation wise the explorer is suffiecient though (did not sound you are 150 kg guys);. It ll be a sweet weight/performance ratio. Not been done a lot, as lacking the advertisment by Alpacka for such (they fear liability issues people misusing it. we europeans are more reasnonabl :slight_smile:

Sven

we got an unrigged explorer last summer with the idea of sharing it for two people for lakes and gentle rivers. while it’s been great, and two people fit, we wish we’d gone with two alpacas now, because it’s more versatile and fun. that’d be my suggestion (unless you wanna buy our UE, hahaha).

g

hi gladie,

it’s versatile vs weight/volume so we might opt for the second.

do you live in europe? is it an unrigged explorer 2011 version?

what’s your price and shipping costs for your UE?

i’m in the US (Utah). it’s a red, 2011 unrigged explorer. i paid $895 plus $9 shipping. it’s been used about 6 or 8 times on lakes and one time on class ii. i’m not sure what a fair price is (i see that they’re currently $805 new on sale, so below that). i also got the skeg for the bottom which is detachable that i’d throw in.

Not trying to kill a sale here, but one thing to concider. Last year Nancy with Alpacka rafts said that the explorer could be custom ordered a few inches longer with out effecting performance much. I would confirm this with Sherry though.

So it became an unrigged explorer at last.
Arrived last week.
Baptised today.

More words and a video on my blog

Great blog, great boat. Your demo with 2 people will be helpfull for others trying to decide.

pharmapre - you have an exquisite turn of phrase