Rannoch Moor, Scotland

Hi,
Nice two day trip with potential to extend further north.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41087

regards
John

Fantastic photo’s and trip report, thanks for sharing.

Your trip has whet my appetite to visit Scotland even more, it looks like it could be a good place to try out a Grand Shelter’s Icebox too.

Congrats on doing that run John. I’ve never seen Loch Laidon looking so smooth.
I tried the same but in the other direction in early Dec - from off the WHW down to Ba and towards Rannoch stn, but it was a tundra.
We were up there again yesterday (only walking WHW to Kingshouse) and this time I could make out the water and isles of Loch Ba from the ice and snows much more clearly. River Ba looked to be running pretty well close off the track, but lots of ice still.

I think the stations on that end of the West Highland rail line are really handy for cooking up car-free packrafting adventures in the area. Coming from Rannoch station ‘upstream’ I was thinking you could then walk off Loch Ba over the road to Loch Tulla, pick up the Orchy river, scoot down past the Bridge and right on down over the top of Loch Awe (walking round a few dodgy rapids), and still get a train back from anywhere on the Oban branch line.

Enjoy your future paddles up there.

Chris S