Packrafting Group now at last on Facebook!

For months, every now and then, I’ve typed the word packrafting into the search box on Facebook. And every time, the only page that has comes up is a profile of me!

Nobody else. No names of the Gods (Roman, Nathan, Sheri, et al). And no packrafting group among the million of users (rafting yes, but that’s not quite the same, is it?). And I’ve only appeared because it is listed under my interests.

As an inexpert paddler and one that has spent most of this year off the water injured, this is pretty unbelievable. I mean, I’m incredibly flattered and humbled to have such exclusive packrafting status conferred on my (unable to paddle) shoulders but the weight of upholding the Facebook packrafting world is an honour I truly (and this is no modesty) do not deserve.

Therefore, I’ve put up a group page. I’ve used the name of my paddling blog: The Paddlers’ Liberation Front (go on, admit the name does have attitude). If anyone here is on Facebook, please take a look. You can post videos, pictures, etc. If one paddler joins, the packrafting world on Facebook will have exploded by 100%. It’ll be sad to loose my easy won title of the Facebook Packrafter Supreme but I’m an overage adult and I can take it.

Here’s the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=38070253004

Cheers,
Rods

I’m on Facebook as someone asked me to join but I don’t know what it’s supposed to be about.

I kept getting strange messages from folk asking me to be their friend, then they got nasty when I ignored them or asked why they had contacted me, so I gave up on it.

Maybe I missed something ??

MickT

Okay, I did my part. I joined the Facebook group and added “packrafting” to my interests. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who joined the group. The packrafting fraternity on Facebook seems to have imploded and is up 800% (and some names have added real class to the members list :slight_smile:

I’m on Facebook as someone asked me to join but I don’t know what it’s supposed to be about.

I found it baffling too at first. But it works as a social network and can play a part in making people aware of issues, sports, interests (politicians are now getting facebook pages so it must work in some strange way). I only put up the group page as there was no other packrafting group (although I do find it fun) but I’m sure other groups on packrafting will appear in time. Most sports have many groups. Facebook is just another outlet for connecting with people who have similar interests, similar to forums, although most people usuually use their own names whereas on forums most use another handle. Also, groups on Facebook tend to have far less activity than forums, but can be fun to join.

Which I hope is the case here. :slight_smile:

Rods

With sound advice from Rods & a whole bunch of head scratching, we’ve now created a Facebook identity for Alpacka Raft. (How do list the relationship status of a boatyard? … I tried to put “in an open relationship”, but under ‘with who’ it wouldn’t let me put “many bodies of water.” Perhaps it’s for the best.)

We also started an open group (simply called ‘Alpacka Raft’), and are a proud member of The Paddler’s Liberation Front! :smiley:

I guess the relationship status is…‘Fluid!’

Alpacka Raft LLC wrote:
We also started an open group (simply called ‘Alpacka Raft’), and are a proud member of The Paddler’s Liberation Front!

Times change fast on Facebook! I’ve now counted 4 packrafting groups! An update already is needed, I think: Alpacka Raft is now called “Alpacka Rafters” and is here:

http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=alpacka+raft&init=q&sid=f058ce077a64d871658d91206ce086ed#/group.php?sid=f058ce077a64d871658d91206ce086ed&gid=62014550995

And we’re proud to have A R as a member of the Paddlers’ Liberation Front, too (we have no problem with how many bodies of water, Flat, White or Sea Green the rumour mill on Facebook now reports him as in a current relationship with). :slight_smile: We’re an equal opportunities renegade tribe at PLF. And I’m happy to have joined the put-in at Alpacka Rafters. :slight_smile:

Oh, no, it’s Class 4… :open_mouth: