NZ south island in Feb

I am going to be in the south island NZ from 5th - 20th Feb 2013. Is anyone else going to be around that might be interested in some short packrafting/fishing adventures? I would be keen on a few days backcountry fishing with walk in / raft out options or similar? Would gratefully accept any suggestions or recommendations for worthwhile trips also :slight_smile:

Steve

Hi Steve.

Have a look at Travers and d’urville RSI in Nelson lakes NP. 2 days walk and fish, and fun raft out, and easy access. Obviously Karamea tribs are also good, but access more of a problem,and quick trips harder to do. The rivers around Qtown I think need a special licence to fish, acquired by ballot. The Dart/Rees valley would be fun walk /raft, but not a renowned fishery. Have rafted the Glaisnock and Worsley R. In Fiordland. Again access is difficult. Easy rafting. Good fishing.

Have fun planning it.

Andrew A

Thanks Andrew, some good starters there, I may deposit my lovely wife in a wine area and score some extra time I think, there is simply too much water to choose from.

Steve

Give me a yell if you are heading to the southwest/Fiordland area, keen for a trip if it suits.

cheers,

Gerard

I would be interested in something around Canterbury or Murchison from the 16th to the 20th of Feb. Options could be the Maruia camping in the gorge overnight, The Grey river again camping over night. Or for some walking/rafting head to Lake Sumner and walk the Jollie brook track then paddle back down the Hurunui. Great fishing at the lake outlet. Some Class 3 rapids further down the Hurunui which could be rafted without packs. What are your plans so far?

Cheers, Simon