Newbie Questions

Hi,

I just received my Alpacka Llama and have taken it out once on a calm lake so far. I originally purchased it mainly for its compactness and durability - I had no idea it would be so comfortable! I will primarily be packing it up to alpine lakes for fishing and access to better camp sites off main trails. Anyway, after this one use, I have a few questions that’d I appreciate some help with:

1. What is the best way to step in and out of it? I felt funny stepping in and out from shore- is it safe to put your full weight (215 myself) on the flooring? Is there a preferred way to enter and exit so as not to overly stress the craft?
  2. I was thinking that if I were to fall into the water it wouldn’t help me to have my shoes/boots on and that it might be more comfortable to paddle with them off - any reason not to do that?
  3. I bought the Patch 'n Go and I understand that I can use it for the tube, but is that the right product to use for the floor too?
  4. The directions say to pack the boat to fold it in half and then roll, but I noticed that the sack to transport has a lot of length left when doing that and the rolled craft is quite tight to fit in it. I found that by offsetting the fold so it is not exactly half makes the rolled version fit easier. Has anyone else noticed this?
  5. I will be using the Llama to do some flat water portages (lakes) with a friend or two. After using it once by myself, I see it will be quite tight (especially as my friends are both taller and weigh more than my 5’10" 215lb frame). Would it be okay to have the passenger ride on the tube itself on the bow or should we just get cozy?
  6. I bought the Sawyer pack paddle with the Llama and am very happy with the quality - kinda nervous as it is so light it feels fragile, but I’m guessing that is just my paranoia kicking in. I’m thinking for backpacking to keep the paddle safe it makes more sense to have it on the outside of the pack instead of compressed with other gear. Any opinions?

Thanks all for helping a newbie. I hope to get a lot of use out of my Alpacka … who knows I might actually get into whitewater eventually.

–Rick

1. What is the best way to step in and out of it?

I like to wade out to shin deep water, then put my butt in first and let my feet drain over the side. This protects the bottom of the boat.

1. I was thinking that if I were to fall into the water it wouldn’t help me to have my shoes/boots on and that it might be more comfortable to paddle with them off - any reason not to do that?

Wear your shoes, not boots to protect your feet. You’d be amazed at how well you can swim with shoes on. Be sure to wear a PFD.

1. I bought the Patch 'n Go and I understand that I can use it for the tube, but is that the right product to use for the floor too?
    Check out the new video on repairing the floor using aquaseal.

http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm?section=tips-and-technique&page=Choosing-and-Outfitting-Your-Raft&viewpost=2&ContentId=2623

1. The directions say to pack the boat to fold it in half and then roll, but I noticed that the sack to transport has a lot of length left when doing that and the rolled craft is quite tight to fit in it. I found that by offsetting the fold so it is not exactly half makes the rolled version fit easier. Has anyone else noticed this?

There are more compact and faster ways to pack a boat, IMHO. I fold, don’t roll, my boat and don’t use a bag. I fold it so it’s the tough bottom side up and comapact enough to fit under the lid of my big pack (longer trips) or inside my little pack (day trips/overnight trips)

1. I will be using the Llama to do some flat water portages (lakes) with a friend or two. After using it once by myself, I see it will be quite tight (especially as my friends are both taller and weigh more than my 5’10" 215lb frame). Would it be okay to have the passenger ride on the tube itself on the bow or should we just get cozy?

Getting cozy is less tippy, but let us know how sitting on the tubes works. Wear a PFD.

1. I bought the Sawyer pack paddle with the Llama and am very happy with the quality - kinda nervous as it is so light it feels fragile, but I’m guessing that is just my paranoia kicking in. I’m thinking for backpacking to keep the paddle safe it makes more sense to have it on the outside of the pack instead of compressed with other gear. Any opinions?

Packing on the inside prevents loss when bushwacking; packing on the outside makes it easier to get to.

RomanDial,

Thanks for the help. If we try 2 people with one on the tube, I’ll be sure to post how it works out.

–Rick