Little Coal Cr Trail -> Indian R -> Susitna R -> Talkeetna

Does anyone have information on the following route?
Start by taking the Little Coal Creek trail (Denali State Park) up to the ridge. Continue east between two peaks, each at 4500 ft, and descend northeast down 2500 ft of brush on the backside for two miles to Indian River. Packraft down the Indian River to the Susitna River and take out at Talkeetna.

I have not been down the backside of the ridge or on the Indian River. Maps show there is a river constriction on the Indian R at railroad mile 270, about a mile below the proposed put in. Any information on the Indian River WW class rating and conditions for the that canyon and the lower river is appreciated. Also any knowledge on the extent of bushwhacking down the ridge or preferred routes are welcome.

Alan Peck

Since almost a year has past since this route was first posted, I thought I would check again if anyone had information. I have not done this yet, but if I do and no one else posts then I’ll let you know. Thanks for any input.

I know of a couple guys who did a variation early last summer. They took the easy hike in on the RR tracks, hopped into the Indian river and floated to Talkeetna. I think they reported the Indian as some class 5, needing portages. The rest of the river miles are mellow. Watch for big, fast jetboats. :astonished: