Floating North From Grandview to Placer

Has anyone floated from Grandview on the stream flowing out of Bartlett Glacier and down to the Placer River. I know we just had a post about the Trail river, and I will also be in the area goat hunting this fall and am looking for some options out of them hills, other than taking the train.

I’ve scoped it out in late Spring on skis and during the summer from the train, but have not run it. It is not an easy float - it is technical whitewater.

The section above the canyon (and the railroad tunnels) looks to be class III. Looks like a lot of fun for an advanced packrafter, but I’m unsure of the hazards (wood, etc).

The canyon looks like it is similar to 6 Mile, but with less water. Okay, maybe a little easier than 6 Mile, but I saw at least one nearly river-wide sweeper than certainly raised the danger level. I remember thinking, “Hmmm maybe I could run that” then I saw the sweeper and said “Nope, no way.”

Again, I haven’t run it, so take this for whatever it is worth.

I tried to get the Alaska Railroad to whistle-stop us off at Grand View to run that section and they just don’t do whistle stops there quite yet… damn… but it’s been on my hit list for quite some time. Looks to be in the bigger water class IVish range and last time I flew over it a few years back I remember seeing some big drops w/ no portage and steep canyon walls… hmmmmm… We’re going to make an attempt this summer in whitewater kayaks if you’re interested in joining, although it’s a toss up because it hasn’t been ran yet to my & many other sources knowledge.

Timmy J.
www.alaskawhitewater.org

Found out from some friends that the railroad workers threw a ton of rebar, cars, and debris into that canyon as they built the railroad. Apparently it’s all throughout the riverbed, sharp steel isn’t too much fun to swim in. Guess we’ll have to go anyway… rocks hurt just about as much.

Timmy J.
www.alaskawhitewater.org