Expert Help??

As I venture into longer trips, I am wondering if some of you with more packrafting experiance than I could share some wisdom on how and exactley what you pack for multiday packraft trips? Pictures of gear laid out would be swell! I am particulary interested in the toilet situation, cold weather camp gear, food prep, photo/video, ect. I have always been a chronic over-packer but then again, until I got into Alpacka’s, I’ve always had larger crafts to do so. Besides, I was a Boyscout long ago and I try to be prepared for eveything. :mrgreen: I know Romans book will be a great help but I just don’t seem to have it in my hands at the moment… :wink:

Go as light as you can and strap the load on well:

I have rarely kept a list of my gear, but here’s one:
Charlie River, June 16-26, 2003
Fly-in trip, 114 miles on Charley + 72 miles on Yukon in Interior Alaska, lots of wood for fires, clearwater river, flows through tundra, shrubs, canyons, forest, base of low mountains (no glaciers).
Alpacka Raft Llama
paddle (2 piece)
Lotus PFD w/2 pockets filled with:
• River knife
• Snack food
• Spatula (= spoon)
• Lip sunscreen
• Sharpie pen (notes on map)
• Sunscreen
• Bug dope
• Lighter/candle/matches
Throw-rope
Gore-tex dry suit with goretex feet built in
One-piece union suit (midweight capilene) for paddling
over a synthetic t-shirt
under Lightweight fleece top (if cold)
Nylon pants
Sun glasses
Large (50 L) Pacific Outdoor Products Dry Bag
Harness pack similar to ULA Arctic 1000 pack or NRS dry-bag pack (just straps no body to pack)
4 accessory straps (two 4’ and two 5’) with friction (not snap) buckles
Maps (1:250,000 and 1:63,360) in zip-lock bags (quart sized)
Compass
One pair of socks for boating
One pair of socks for hiking
Adventure racing shoes
camera

CAMP GEAR (four of us shared a megamid; we used paddle shafts strapped together and one blade as a single pole in the tent; we used the accessory straps to anchor the corners with rocks)
1 thermarest, lightweight long (shared w/4 people in Megamid with two other pads; i.e. three pads for four people w/PFDs for feet)
1 gallon billy pot – we cooked on fires
2 x 2 qt platypus water bags for hauling water
1 qt nalgene for drinking (no cup, no bowl)
1 dip cup
Moonstone, zipperless “sleeping bag” (no hood, designed to make three season bags winter bags) – synthetic insulation
Synthetic shorts for camp
Expedition weight capilene bottoms for sleeping in
Synthetic hooded pullover for camp wear/sleeping in
Cotton turtleneck for sleeping in
Superlight windshirt w/hood
Thick sleep socks
Toothbrush/paste
Floss/needle
Head net for bugs
Sat phone
GPS
Patch kit for boat (duct tape, urethane tape, 2 part glue, 2 sq in fabric)
Tinadizol pills for Giardia
Pain pills (ibus to morphine)
Bandaids/tape
TP
Food

All of this is stock gear – I didn’t make anything.

Roman, do you take a saw for the wood, what tpye?
Dano

To saw or not to saw? I envision this starting a lively debate that would belong in its own thread. With out diving into the ethics of cutting out wood consider the practicality. On longer multi day trips, like what you are planning, leave the saw at home. It is easier, lighter, and more efficient to do a quick portage around any wood.

That said, when running popular creeks close to the road, I carry a Wyoming Saw (http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm). I like the name, its durability, and the fact I turn it into a bone saw when the elk start to bugle.

I carry no saw – unless I am cleaning out Ship Creek or helping Brad with S. For Eagle River, but for firewood we generally pick up drift wood. Saw cuts are an unmistakable trace of human passage that I don’t mind around cabins but wince at elsewhere.

We carry 24" bow saw for cleaning out creeks or a shorter Sven saw that packs better – again I have never carried a saw for overnight trips.

Like Forrest said: this leads to an ethical discussion.

The question was merely to inquire into what folks use. Since I feel I am teachable in any aspect of outdoors, and knowledge is your best defense, what better way to learn of good ideas when it comes to gear.

I’m the last person to judge another person’s ethical behavior. :wink:

Dano

As far as the small portable toilet, if you use one of these… http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16143&cat=257&page=1 with one or more of these… http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16333&cat=75&page=1 well, there is your toilet. Fully waterproof and self contained. Worked like a charm. :wink:

sometimes we also include the Long-Sleeve Turtleneck Glitter Sleeping Beauty Sweater in our list…

rhinestone motif | clothing label

I have the same question. Im so glad that somebody already submitted the answer.

Thank you so much!