East Fork Lewis River - Washington near Mt. St. Helens

There is ample information available on kayaking sites for this river, but I thought I’d put up a few pictures in case anyone else wants to run this in a PR. The EFL is an amazing run with many class III rapids, a few class IV, and two substantial waterfalls. Both of these waterfalls are surprisingly forgiving in a PR - the landing doesn’t recirculate and grab as much as other PR’able falls in the northwest (like Husum on the Middle White Salmon). I ran the EFL at 1200cfs … intimidating but a really good level. The first falls, Sunset (15ft), has a slanting flake river middle that you can right-boof in to a great landing. The second falls, Horseshoe (22ft), is an awesome slide-to-falls combo with a narrow but doable entrance. Both falls have excellent run-outs.

As for the rest of the river, I’ll portage Screaming Left next time I run this one. It has a very low fun to danger ratio, and I flipped and swam the “don’t swim here” right line. Everything else is very sporty but flow-dependent-doable for anyone looking for a steep adventure!

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2147/

Sunset Falls - the line is just on the other side of the rock island in the middle.

Screaming Left

Horseshoe Falls