Clarence journey - from the source - early October 2014

Hi folks

I’m going to be doing a packrafting trip down the Clarence at the very start of October. At this stage we’re looking to start in St Arnuard and hike over the Clarence Pass (or up the Rainbow River - Paske Hut - Paske Saddle), right to the source of the Clarence and creek-bash our way down until things become runnable. Or walk in from the St James (so starting higher than the usual rafting put-in at the road).

If anyone is interested in joining, get in touch :slight_smile:

I assume the Clarence in NZ ? :slight_smile:

Sounds awesome Dulkara. Bad timing for me but appreciate the general invite. I have been eyeing up something similar with a walk up the Sabine River from Lake Rotoroa, over Waiau Pass and then a float down the Waiau River and out to Highway 7 (then hitting the hot pools in Hanmer causing a large slick!). I can imagine having to walk the gnarlier sections of the Waiau but maybe that wouldn’t be required for the Clarence? Let us know if your intended dates change but if not I will look forward to your trip report. Looks like you have moved to Australia since you last posted?

I am keen to paddle the Clarence once the weather warms up. From mid January would be good. I will be kayaking the upper Waiau in early November with the Nelson canoe club. The class 3+ to 4 sections should be a challenge. It will be useful to see how easy the portages are for a packraft, may packraft it in mid-summer.

Simon

Hi folks,

Sorry I didn’t reply to anything - just realised that I didn’t check the box to have replies sent to my email inbox!

We ended up bailing on the Clarence early, lots of snow and no dry suit was a stupid idea!!! I’m very keen to head back and do this trip sometime next year. If people are planning to head to the area, get in touch if you want another adventure buddy as I may be keen if I’m in NZ. Lots of great options in this area, and starting from the very source is great :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to an edit I put together on the trip:

Cheers,

Dulkara