Chickaloon River Advice

All,

A group of friends and I are relatively new to the packrafting scene, but are really excited to hit it hard this year. We had heard that the Chickaloon River was a great beginner river and would like to do a trip down it next weekend. Ideally, we would want to hike on Saturday, camp Saturday night and packraft on Sunday. Any suggestions on where to put in and take out? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

1. Dont park anywhere near the chickaloon river if you want to come back to an intact vehicle. In the past lots of rigs tend to get broken into and vandalized and so on. Theres also one person in particular in that area who likes to be confrontational and tell you its all private land and tells you a bunch of other stuff which isnt true. you might also reference some of the online river guides like american whitewater or eddyflower for other info.

Actually, there are several places to put in. The best part of the run starts 16 miles up the river and goes to the to the road. If the gravel bar is mostly covered under the glenn highway bridge it is a spankin run,and very continuous class III-III+, low water class II-III. When you loook at the section from the ledge to the highway, just remember, it’s harder up stream.
Chief Gary is alright, he has been nice to me, I have parked my car by the river at the bridge more than once. Parking by his house might stirr him though, at least you guys.