Chandalar Shelf - N Fk Chandalar - Robert Creek - Bettles River

I think I first heard about Ed Plumb doing this route years ago, but when it came time for me to try it I couldn’t find any beta in this forum. It may be here, so apologies for cross-posting or conflicting information.

This is another of the possible road-to-road routes off the Dalton Highway (aka Haul Road). I’ve done many of them and this is one of the best.

Chandalar Shelf is the flat plateau below Atigun Pass on the south side. One of the branches of the north fork of the Chandalar River begins in this area and flows off to the southeast. It’s tiny alongside the road and not very attractive for boating.

Parking is available on the east side of the road (and the creek) at the airstrip opposite the road maintenance yard. From near the south end of the airstrip get on the pipeline right-of-way for about a half mile before it diverges from the creek. Chances are that, unless you have exceptionally high water that you should plan on walking down the creek for about 5 miles, through the aufeis gravel braids, to a point where the water comes together to allow floating.

If you have average or above average water, you will probably find adequate floating conditions to get you all the way to the Quartz Creek area. If you are unlucky and water levels are low, as in early or late season, you will endure about 10 miles of squirming, pushing, dragging and swearing until you get to the major confluence of the true North Fork of the Chandalar. The creek alternates between gravel braids and rocky chutes, some of which may be Class 3 at high water.

From the N Fk confluence it is an easy float to Quartz Creek and the adjacent horse camp. The next trib to the east of Quartz Creek is the one to take over to Robert Creek, and you’ll find a horse trail on the east bank that eventually goes right up the creek. Aim for the pass at ~4,000’ and then descend into the headwaters of the next unnamed creek to the east and follow it to the pass over into Robert Creek.

If, like me, you arrive at a time of low water (mid-September) you will probably walk all the way (13 miles) to Willow Creek before inflating. At high water you might get to float some or all of this 13 miles, including a scenic 3 mile canyon that looks fun.

Below Willow Creek you will endure some more gravel aufeis braids for the next 4 miles before a rocky Class 3 section takes you to the lip of a Class 6 death seive. Portage here for 100 yards on river left and relaunch in a shallow canyon that continues at Class 2/3 for the next 3 miles.

This is horse country so you can walk horse trails all the way back to the Haul Road if something goes wrong, but the floating is uneventful for the next 15 miles of Robert Creek/Bettles River/Dietrich River.

The route can be done in 3 long days, but take 5 days at a more leisurely pace.