Sorry if this is a double-post, I got logged out mid post.
I am planning to do a Canyonlands figure 8 in early April this year, as first described by Forrest McCarthy. Despite my user name this will be a group of 4 - all are backcountry experienced but new to packrafting.
The planned route is in 5 legs:
- Hike Indian Creek Canyon from Lockhart Rd to the Colorado
- Raft the Colorado from Indian Creek to Spanish Bottom
- Hike Spanish Bottom -> The Dollhouse -> Chimney Rock -> South Fork Horse Canyon -> Green river at Stillwater Canyon
- Raft Stillwater canyon -> the confluence -> Lower Red Lake Canyon
- Hike Lower Red Lake Canyon -> Elephant Hill trailhead
Any beta about any of the legs would be greatly appreciated. I’m most concerned about the descent from South Fork Horse Canyon to Stillwater Canyon. I am bringing 25’ of rope for lowering packs but will not be equipped for technical climbing. (As in extended class 4 and up. I would prefer to limit exposure to class 3 if possible.)
Any tips, thoughts, or favorite area highlights would be greatly appreciated. I will pay it forward with a trip report for future travelers.