BWCA

I live in Nth MN, about 1.5 hours from the BWCA. I can see this concept growing up north for those who wish to use the BWCA when ever they wish. Now you must get a canoe permit to enter. These can be very hard to get. With a pack raft you could get a hiking permit, very easy to do as they never quota out, and explore the lakes when every you want. Could anyone out there compare the distance you could travel in a raft, on a lake, verses using a canoe? The forest service up here may have to change they way they issue permits if these rafts catch on up here.

I know that this is a 5-year old thread, but has anyone done anything in the BWCA with a packraft since 2010?

I search this topic every year at this time, and come up with the same result: nothing.

…Nothing right ? …

I have an Alpacka Denali Llama purchased in Sep 2015. I can’t directly answer the question but my guess is a canoe averages 4 mph and a packraft 2mph. That said, I found this BWCA conversation about canoe speed, see the link below. I think you’re looking for mpt from x to xx and how much more effort is it than a canoe. A piece of the answer is how much portage or hiking is included. The more the portage and hiking the better the packraft looks. So maybe look at the whole trip with breaks you may need to take with a canoe during portage v the packraft which would also be used to hike. http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.thread&threadId=396054&forumID=15&confID=1

A canoe is not at all suited for whitewater as a packraft. But the Packraft is suitable for flatwater, not well suited though. However, when you mix in portage and hiking it becomes very suitable for flatwater. It’s just best suited for a current and more ideal the stronger the current regardless of whitewater or not.

I am planning to make it to the BWCA with my packraft over the summer or fall. I’d love to do the boarder route. How long does the border route generally take canoe travelers?

Thanks,
Doug
Chicago