Bear Trap Canyon - Madison (MT)

My girlfriend and I have just started getting into packrafting. I have a lot of white water experience, my GF less so. We will be out in MT for a couple of weeks in mid-July '24 and are considering running Bear Trap Canyon on the Madison. I am not familiar with this stretch and would be interested in joining others or possibly hiring a guide. There are a couple of rapids like Kitchen Sink that is likely more than she would be comfortable with at this time and we want to make sure there’s portage options etc… It looks like you can portage on the right side. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks

Yes, you can portage the kitchen sink on the right. I live in Bozeman, I paddle the Gallatin a lot which is a super fun river. The Gallatin still should have fun water in in mid July. The Bear Trap is a fun run. It is kind of a long shuttle for the length of the run. The Gallatin is easy to hitch rides.
I would be happy to chat with you about MT rivers. I should be around in July and would be happy to have you join us on the area rivers.

Cool - Thanks for the reply and offer. We should be in the Boz area around 7/22 after spending a few days on the Boulder. It would be great to meet up. One of my brothers has a cabin near Tom Miner, so it’s likely we will also look to do Yankee Jim Canyon. Your suggestion for the Gallatin is spot on - Although I am not very familiar with it other than I know it can get thin in Aug. Drop me an email if you’d like and we can share #'s etc. rwkohlmeyer@yahoo.com. Rob