2017 Alpackas

Does anyone know what changes are going to be in effect on the 2017 models? All of the Current boats are on sale, which is unusual…

I was wondering the same thing. Not only the sale, but the fact that they are now selling boats made out of remnant fabric at a discount. Fabric change coming?

The new models look like a good natural progression. They are adding features that have become standard mods on whitewater boats: thigh straps, backbands, and footrests.

The Alpackalypse looks like a much more usable boat than the model I tested. An upgraded Gnarwhal (400 vectran, inflatable backhand seat, whitewater deck) looks to be the best whitewater boat yet.

I just bought an SB Gnarwahl and it is a whitewater boat. Best packraft I have paddled by far!

Randall,

What paddle length are you using with your SB Gnarwahl and why did you choose that length?

The Gnarwahl’s max width of 44" seems like a conventional ~200 cm WW paddle would be too short. The max width is towards the end of the stroke length which may negate the requirement for a longer than normal WW paddle.

Like a week ago, Alpacka posted this video where Thor goes through some of the changes they have introduced in the 2017 Gnarwhal. I just ordered one of these babies and I can’t wait for it to arrive. It looks like an amazing raft!