Tweener-sized packrafter - yak or alpaca?

Hi all,
i just ordered a yak a couple days ago and i can’t remember ever being this stoked about a purchase.
my one and only concern is this:
i am a bit over 5’8" and about 170 lbs. I would classify myself as a small guy but i fall in the size range for the yak.
i definitely feel like i am a size that is in between the two boats.
am i going to wish i had bought the smaller boat or will i be happy with the extra room? am i overthinking this? probably.
are there any other tweener-sized packrafters out there that could comment on the pro/cons i might expect?
either way, i can’t wait for breakup. take care, abel6wt

Hello!

It is Sheri answering here. The most important measurement when deciding what length will fit you will, rather than your overall height, is your leg length. What inseam do you get when you buy a pair of levis? I can tell you from that measurement whether you will fit well into an Alpaca or not.

cheers, Sheri

hi sheri,
thanks for the reply. i love your boats and can’t wait to get into PRing.
I wear a 30-31" inseam, depending on the brand. it’s been so long since i bought non-camping/paddling/expedition clothes, i can hardly remember!!
sorry to over-analyze this. one question - i ordered the boat on 12/22, i think, if we deem the yak too big, could i change my order to an alpaca?
thanks for looking into this. hope you are having a great holiday season.
take care, Kolman Soifer

I would also consider whether you’re going to spend a lot of time with a pack in the boat… if so, I’d take the larger boat regardless. IMHO.

My inside leg measurement is 32" (first time I’ve ever given that on a forum :slight_smile: ) and I paddle an Alpaca. I wanted a snug fit (which it is) and also the lightest weight I could get (I bought it about 3 years ago and I think the Alpaca was ever so slightly lighter then). I’ve been very happy with this packraft.

I read elsewhere on this forum, someone saying they thought smaller and lighter would be even better but when trying a smaller packraft found it less stable (think it was Roman Dial but uncertain). But my paddling has not been done in aggressive white water and the Alpaca has been fine for me.

well, i spoke with andrew and he has given me some flexibility in possibly changing my order from a yak to an alpaca. once again, great company, cool people.
i appreciate the feedback i have gotten. i will probably wait to hear back from sheri on this topic, before making a decision. please keep the input coming, i love to hear from exp. pr’ers.
i did want to give some insight into what factors are confusing this decision besides too much coffee and some nasty cabin fever. keep in mind, i have never been in a packraft so i am largely, speaking out of my arse here. i have, however, spent a lot of time on and around the water and unfortunately, in the water.

i always err to the side of bigger/more capacity in my gear and never use the extra capacity.
i don’t hunt and if i start, i doubt it will be from my packraft.
most of my packrafting will likely be on class III and III+ if not flatwater, so stability won’t be a huge concern
i envision a lot of cataraft-supported packrafting(mothership concept), so weight capacity isn’t a big concern.
judging from my short-lived basketball career, i am a small guy. i like to shop like a medium sized guy. but i am wee.
i have bought the wrong sized equipment in the past and it stinks. i also feel that an alpacka raft is one of those items that sizing is imperative to performance.
therein lies the boggle.

sounds like i know what i want, huh? not the case. keep the comments coming. one things for sure, i’m gonna be a packrafter when i grow up.
take care, abel6wt

well, i spoke with andrew and he has given me some flexibility in possibly changing my order from a yak to an alpaca. once again, great company, cool people.
i appreciate the feedback i have gotten. i will probably wait to hear back from sheri on this topic, before making a decision. please keep the input coming, i love to hear from exp. pr’ers.
i did want to give some insight into what factors are confusing this decision besides too much coffee and some nasty cabin fever. keep in mind, i have never been in a packraft so i am largely, speaking out of my arse here. i have, however, spent a lot of time on and around the water and unfortunately, in the water.

i always err to the side of bigger/more capacity in my gear and never use the extra capacity.
i don’t hunt and if i start, i doubt it will be from my packraft.
most of my packrafting will likely be on class III and III+ if not flatwater, so stability won’t be a huge concern
i envision a lot of cataraft-supported packrafting(mothership concept), so weight capacity isn’t a big concern.
judging from my short-lived basketball career, i am a small guy. i like to shop like a medium sized guy. but i am wee.
i have bought the wrong sized equipment in the past and it stinks. i also feel that an alpacka raft is one of those items that sizing is imperative to performance.
therein lies the boggle.

sounds like i know what i want, huh? not the case. keep the comments coming. one things for sure, i’m gonna be a packrafter when i grow up.
take care, abel6wt