The Perfect Packraft Paddle for You?

This is a great point STP, I thought about going into the terminology, but so many only know “feather or feathering” as a paddling technique and equally confuse offset for feather angle. Another Werner offset blade, that is a mainstay for me, is the fiberglass bladed Surge.

While I have only tried wood paddles on 2-3 occasions, don’t underestimate the feel and flex of a wood paddle. A finely crafted wood paddle can be hard to beat, especially when paddling with good vehicle access to RAPs. Below is a brief list of paddles that I prefer their engineering and sizing for packrafting.

Best One-piece Paddles
Sawyer Storm Surge
Sawyer Storm Chaser
Cataract Deso
custom wood paddle

Best 2-piece
Werner whitewater 2-piece with 1,2 or 3 hole ferule and fiberglass blade of choice (i.e. Sherpa)

Best Whitewater 4 or 5-piece
Werner Powerhouse or Sherpa 4-piece (206 or 209cm)
Sawyer Kayak Summit 5-piece pack paddle (210-230cm adj)

Best mixed-use 4-piece
Werner Pack-tour M (200-215 or 215-230 adj)
Aqua Bound Whiskey

Best “Budget” paddle
Werner Rio

Does the size of the person affect the recommendation of paddle size? Like having really long arms and 6’3" and paddling a Mule vs smaller paddler and smaller boat? I’m pretty new to packrafting and I have to admit I sqeak my raft a lot when I paddle. :face_with_spiral_eyes: Thx in advance.

Definitely. I have a +2 ape index, but I’m only 5.5 inches tall. I generally use a 200 to 205 with my Wolverine. I think that may be long for someone my size. It also makes a difference which boat you are using. The boats with bigger tubes might warrant a different size paddle. I know this isn’t really a definitive answer. But quoting Dan from the blog post: “It should be long enough to reach the water. When you take a stroke, the connection between the blade and the shaft should be right around the water surface with the entire blade submerged. If you’re taking high-angle paddle strokes, you want a somewhat shorter shaft. Low-angle paddle strokes require a longer paddle shaft to reach the water.
Beware of paddle sizing guides intended for kayakers! The extra width of packraft tubes demand longer paddles by about 3-5 cm. At 5’10” I prefer a 197cm paddle for whitewater kayaking and a 200 cm paddle for whitewater packrafting.” And here’s an interesting reddit thread with more info: Reddit - Dive into anything

Thank you for the info!