Portage Creek

On Sunday, August 26 Yvonne and I floated Portage Creek from the Lake to the Seward Highway. The run is about 6 miles and quite mellow. I took my Dory and Yvonne took her Yak. Right after the put in there are some mellow rapids - easy enough in a regular packraft by the oars in my dory kept hitting the rocky bottom so I had to change to a kayak paddle to accommodate my poor rowing skills.

After the initial rapids the float was quite mellow. There are a few sweepers but most as easily avoided with the exception of one halfway down which is right on a tight corner. However the river is very low at this point so if you’re worried all you have to do is stand up and move your boat 10 feet to the left to avoid it.

We floated down to the slough and then pulled out our fishing rods but the Silvers were not in. Last year at the same time the fishing on Portage Creek was excellent - however the Silvers seem to be few and far between this year.

It was a beautiful day and it was great to float by the peaks that we climbed this past season and look up instead of down.

This is a great lazy afternoon or after work float. If you want more information, Todd Kelsey has an excellent description on the American Whitewater page.

Portage Creek around Mile 3.

Just (lookers) right of Yvonne is a couloir that we skied this past March on a beautiful powder day!
To her left is Explorer glacier which we skied in April. I love picking out ski runs in the summer!

Portage Creek near mile 6 and the take out.