More info at www.alaskawhitewater.org!!!
That’s right folks! It’s that time of year again. Time to get together with fellow paddlers & friends, partake in festivities, and enjoy yo self at the biggest river party in the woods! Of course, there will be free beer, free food, free raffle, and free compeition entry as always to keep everyone satisfied. Come out and either race or spectate the rowdiest mass-start race whitewater in Alaska! The downriver race is an all-out sprint race through the 3 largest rapids in the 1st canyon of Six Mile Creek (a few miles upstream from the festival grounds). Here’s a quick breakdown of the schedule:
1:00p.m. : Time trial races at 1st canyon (1 person at a time, fastest wins) (kayak, inflatable, & pack raft)
2:00p.m. :downriver mass-start extreme race through biggest 3 rapids of the 1st canyon (kayak)
2:30p.m. ACK RAFT mass-start extreme race at 1st canyon! 1st of it’s kind!!
4:00p.m. boston bar freestyle/rodeo competition
6:00p.m. riverside bonfire party, raffle, with good music, microbrew beer, & hotdogs!
- If you are competing, make sure to sign up by 12:30p.m. Saturday at the main festival area tent at the riverside at Boston Bar (mile 3.4 of hope rd). Just walk down the old mining road towards the river & you will see the festival area on the gravel bar. If you want to volunteer (hold a throw rope, be a score keeper, etc please meet at 12:30p.m. at the sign up tent for a safety/volunteer briefing.
The party usually stretches to the wee hours of the night, so plan on camping out (free camping in one of the most beautiful areas on Six Mile Creek).
DIRECTIONS: The festival main grounds can be found 1 hour from Anchorage. Drive south on the Seward Highway and take the cut-off road to Hope. The festival home base is 3.4 miles down the road on your right (look for signs/balloons). *Competitors & spectators will leave the main festival grounds & drive up the road to the 1st canyon race area just off the Seward Highway before the Canyon Creek bridge overpass at 1:00p.m. sharp. * There are plenty of free camping spots along the Hope Road, most people just pitch a tent around Boston Bar.
- Mooses Tooth Brewing Company
- Susitna Sled & Kayak
- Alaska Raft & Kayak
- American Whitewater
- Bills Distributing
- Knik Canoe & Kayak Club
- Great Harvest Bread Company
- Mike of Anchorage Daily News will be covering the event
- Kelley of Blue Moon Photography will be taking race & event photos
Any questions please email Timmy @ firstname.lastname@example.org