Los Angeles Packrafters

New to the sport, have extensive backpacking, and some basic paddling experience. Looking for folks to go with, could be just to beach or Pyramid Lake or something at first, easy rivers too. Working way up the skill ladder. Send me a pm if interested in talking more.

Went out to Venice today for a paddle. Just as we were tempering the boats, a lifeguard ran up and told us “no inflatables.” WTF? Said it was the rule, had to put in at the Marina, unless we could convince his supervisor otherwise. Talked to the Captain, a relatively reasonable guy, who ok’d us to go out, on the handshake promise that we wouldn’t sue the County if we hurt ourselves. He did however, prohibit us from playing in the surf, said we had to go out and just paddle past the breakers. Ended up being an ok paddle, but frankly, we were there to play in the surf. Bummer!

Now what? Need to find a beach sans lifeguards… and make some time to get up to Kern River or some Sierra lakes…

Anyway, if anyone wants to get together for some rafting, let me know. I also have a excellent condition Yukon Yak that I’ll be putting up for sale shortly, decided the Alapaca is a better fit. Let me know if you want to come by and check it out.

I just got a packraft and would be interested in meeting up to paddle. I’m in the San Gabriel Valley. Plan to go to Santa Fe Dam or Bonelli to try it out. I figure some flat water would be best to learn on. Would like to paddle the East Fork in Azusa too.

Errin

I’ve run into the same thing in Venice a lot since I live right there.

A few tips.

One: Go at dawn. Most of the life guards come on at 8am. Best policy is to be out of the water before they open their shack. And there is generally less wind in the AM too.

Two: Prep you boat before you step on the beach. I’ve never had them come after me once I was in. So I generally blow up and attach my suft leash before I quick step down to the water. A few of them have stopped in their yellow trucks to watch me but so far no flashers.

Three: when I asked if it was a law or a rule the life guard eventually backed down. But I think this last one has the most potential to end ugly.

The rule is generally in place to keep bad swimmers from floating out too far where the life guards will have to really work for a rescue. But I don’t think they had Alpackas in mind.

Also,

I’d be down for packrafting with anyone looking for a partner.

Hey all,

I’m from the LA area (Inland Empire) and am getting ready to purchase a boat. Would love to connect with some folks in the next few months to advance my skills. I’m a solid outdoorsman with plenty of rock climbing and canyoneering experience. I’m taking the next six months off work to climb and would love to get some river time in as well. My time off will mostly be spent in UTah and Yosemite areas.

Nathan
nathan dawt scherneck AT gmail

Seems to me like Northern California has more to offer for packrafters than Southern California. Let me know if anyone wants to packraft up here. I’m in Napa and tryin to find some paddling partners.
707 337-6200
http://www.facebook.com/tom.bunter

Seems to me like Northern California has more to offer for packrafters than Southern California. Let me know if anyone wants to packraft up here. I’m in Napa and tryin to find some paddling partners.