Group paddle - Snowies - 5th Feb- all welcome

Great trip guys! It looks like a great place to improve technical skill at lower levels? The problem I find with a lot of the larger rivers up my way, is that there are long flat stretches in between some otherwise good rapids.

I guess that’s the difference between creeking etc. Slightly bummed I’m missing some of these trips but I’ll get back into it soon.
Interesting choice of wetty Craig…I have a good cold water job but find it a little fatiguing for packrafting. 8 or more hours of paddling works the shoulders pretty hard so your style looks perfect.
Again well done and thanks for letting us know the heights and put in info.

I reckon with an extra 100-200mm it would be ideal for skill development Darren. At the level it was at on Sunday it was great fun, but there wasn’t enough volume going through the rapids to try different lines or manoeuvre etc. Incidentally we never felt in any danger on the way down; the rapids were clean of timber and there were very few hydraulics or stoppers to get caught up in. Steve remarked that it would be possible to take a beginner through there at that level as an ideal introduction to whitewater packrafting.

With a decent start and the right water conditions it would be possible to do two runs in a day. The car shuffle is short too which is a bonus.

The singlet top wetty is the best for paddling IMO. As you’ve noticed a conventional wettie drags on your arms every time you take a stroke, whereas the singlet alows complete mobility. In colder weather I supplement mine with a drysuit top and keep adding layers underneath until I’m warm. As you can see in the photos the wetty I use is a retro rig (flouro baby, yeah!), it belongs to our bushwalking club. I’ve been trying to track one down in the singlet top and long leg configuration but haven’t had much luck, so if anyone comes across one in a decent thickness and at a good price please let me know :slight_smile:

I managed to pick up a good cold water wetty (Ripcurl E-Bomb) recently at 50% off. I was after a 2:3 surfing wetsuit but ended up going with a 4:3. It was a tough decision going with the thicker one from a fatigue perspective, but we do some long days in cold canyons (occasional night trips) etc. Total overkill for packrafting and I may end up with another 2:3 for flexibility. I like the idea of long wetty pants and a rashie for our climate.

I find your legs get hammered on portages and swims and it’s more general protection than being overly cold. I’ve seen a lot of people buy canyon specific wetsuits or wetsuits that someone in a shop has advised them to purchase based on what’s in store at the time, which hasn’t always been the best option IMO.

Surfing wetsuits that aren’t sold too small (increasing fatigue) are possibly the best all round option. The technology in the better brands allows for some amazing flexibility and warmth that the wetsuits of old couldn’t possibly compare to.

…anyway…is this the kind of thing you mean Craig? - http://www.wetsuitwarehouse.com.au/adrenalin-longjohn-3-2mm

I go the 3 season surf wetsuit, eat too much pork, pizza and cake and drink too much beer, end result = I have the thermal mass and cold resilience of a Polar bear so the wet suite is not so important :slight_smile:

Steve

That’s the best method IMO Steve…body mass keeps you alive. I spent so many years trying to carry bulk for other sports but at 37, the age clock is starting to help with the insulation issues. :slight_smile: