Grand Canyon

Yeah, I’d like to second this question about NPS requirements regarding waste disposal, firepans, the antiquated throwable seat cushion, and all the other stuff they require a regular private raft trip to carry. Anybody have any experience doing a packraft Lee’s Ferry gear check in with the ranger?

Watch those eddylines!

we just got off the grand this week, and one guy in our group did 210 river miles in an alpacka. we had raft support for all the gear though. he ran everything but the 5 biggest of the bigs at 20k, mainly because we were a group of rookie rowers on the big boats, and we didn’t want to have to keep an eye out on his boat as well. he did run hance, however, but swam in the big waves. 13 swims overall, self rescued every time but once. pretty cool stuff to watch.

lots of other packrafters on the trip, but most of us don’t run the big rapids for general use. most of us use them to get to technical slot canyons near the river, where the river is the only way home. alpackas are pretty heavy for that type of thing, but they proved their mettle in the big stuff.

I am bringing my packraft as a satellite boat down the grand in the end of May. I expect to be swimming a lot. Any recommendations on what thermal protection to wear that time of year.

I did something really fun, with great people, in a beautiful place - http://forrestmccarthy.blogspot.com/2014/10/grand-canyon-of-colorado-river.html

Some details and a few stills here:

A short film depicting a winter self-support trip down the Grand Canyon of the Colorado.

Flows were 10,000 to 18,000 cfs.

Music by This Will Destroy You: “They Move On Tracks Of Never Ending Light”.

Still pics and a few words to explain the trip can be found here:

FWIW, Brad was in a Llama, Roman and Doom were in Yak’s, and I was in a production Alpackalypse.

Roman,

I am planning a trip from Kanab to Tuck Up in October of 2015. I would be curious to learn about your gear that you choose and any advice you may have.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Hoping to be around here in September and won’t have a permit. Is there any section I can hit minus a permit?

Thanks!

Jeremy.

A year later we went back for more. Very hard to get ‘enough’ of the Grand. Not even sure what that would feel like?

Full writeup with pics and words here:

Main video here:

Hermit here:

Cheers,

MC