Glacier Creek; Chugach Mtns.

Just a little update, ran today at around 26. Bloody perfect. The 2-3 minutes above the tram hard to beat for ease of access and closeness to the city for a sweet little intermediate ride.

One fairly new sweeper just above hand tram (visible from scouting around the tram overlook) blocking 3/4 of the creek, easy to skirt around it on the right. A few more new sweepers and wood lower around the airport, nothing too difficult to avoid.

New Winner gorge trailhead parking lot installed last year provides a convenient place to ditch a bike for pickup later or parking for car shuttle.

If you guys can handle campground rapids, then you can handle Glacier Creek. Put in at the hand tram (on the river-right side there is a steep trail that descends to the river, pretty easy, takes 2 minutes to walk down plus has a rope so you don’t bust your tail bone). The river is pretty mellow as far as rapids are concerned, just very swift at the current level with a few occasional waves and small holes. The biggest obstacles are the canyon walls, just drive away from them early & hard & you’ll be fine. Enjoy:^)

Just ran Glacier from the hand tram back to the bridge in Girdwood yesterday (5/26/11). I havn’t run this river more than 6 times, but I have never really seen a good correletion between the gauge and teh actual river level at teh put in. The gauge looked high, but teh river is actually low. Still enough water to miss teh rocks, but not swollen. There is however, a river-wide sweeper about 500 yds upstream from the take out on river right. It must e portaged, and will become a real saftey hazard at higher water. There was a smaller diameter strainer a few feet further downstream that you could just push your way under, but again at high water this might not be the case. Just a heads up. The creek is still a ton of fun!

There is a new sweeper in the upper canyon of Glacier creek below the tram but before the canyon opens up…you can see it with plenty of time but it looks like you can sneak around it but you can’t. The water levels were pretty high on the 25th when I paddled it and it was a blast! There was one other sweeper that gave us a few problems and we had to sneak around it…overall it is in great shape now if you want to brave the snow hike in!

Your up to the minute report…

Water level is at a definite heartrate raising sweetspot, about 26.7 today. FWIW reminder you are missing out on the best part of this run if you put in at the handtram (although that is the safer option). From an unmarked trail-pointer post about a 1/2 mile up from the tram (or 1/2 mile down from the parking lot) continue down 115 paces (more or less) and turn left. There is a well worn but unseen from the main trail path straight down that ends at a small footbridge over Crow Creek. The ropes that used to help on the descent are gone from the upper section so it could be a bit slippery if wet, ropes are there for the second half.

There is a downed tree just below the footbridge, walk through it to reveal a nice beachlike launching zone. There also is a nasty piece of wood creek-left just above where Glacier Creek joins in, at the narrowest point of the canyon surrounding Crow. If you know its there (and now you do) you can sneak by middle right, or you can do like I did and not see it until too late, land the front half of the raft on it, wrench shoulder keeping back half of raft from going under it, and make a not graceful but effective stand on log/raft repositioning extraction without swimming. The big pipe is still there creek-left before the tightening of the canyon. It is greatly helpful if you pre-cool the air in the raft to make sure it will stay fully inflated during this upper part cause there is no easy stopping point.

After that it was clear sailing except for one easily seen and portaged sweeper that appears could be run underneath left but don’t take my word for it. I cleared the right half of it as best I could to maybe allow a scootaround but its prime for the next piece of wood to catch it. Down by the airport it looks worse than it is, lots of wood but never had to stop. Thanks to those paddlers that appear to be carrying chainsaws with them…

At current water level I think even the crazies here with bigger cajones than me would be satisfied and I still believe this to be the best day trip run from Anchorage for pure nonstop whitewater paddling without having to scout every 15 feet.

Perfect non stop fun in the sun today @ 26.5. Tree lower down had been cut. No butt to rock. Good times.

If anyone finds a green Gregory z35 on the creek, I lost mine off the front of the boat when I flipped and the packtach system popped loose. It has my phone and a water filter in it, so if you find and return it to me I will buy you a 12 pack.

I realize the chances of it being found are pretty close to nil, but it’s worth a shot.

(907)277-0436

We had run this a week ago on a few rented rafts from alaska raft and kayak. Their rentable packrafts are fun but we were hoping for something a little more sporty, so we rented a few kayaks from REI. Problem is REI doesn’t rent river kayaks just rec kayaks. At this point we thought we might as well try so we went for it. Big mistake, the 10ft rec kayaks weren’t built white water and we lost one and then the other in the rescue attempt. Also lost was an NRS paddle, All the gear has REI all over it, if anyone sees it please give me a call. 785-410-5703 really appreciate it, thanks.

We found your gear, we returned a paddle and kayak into REI yesterday. The boat was upside down on a gravel bar. The seat was cracked but the hull is intact.

Can’t thank you enough Gitzoak! We ended up pack rafting it the next day and found the other kayak as well. Incredibly appreciative of all your help, we know riding those things out isn’t exactly fun. Definitely learned our lesson. Shoot me a text and there is something nice coming your way! 785-410-5703

Topher and I ran Glacier Creek this morning. We put in right below the hand tram, water level was great (~26.4). The entire creek is clear of any hazardous sweepers or strainers, with the exception of one strainer down by the airport (easily avoided if you take the correct fork in the river).

Kayak found on Glacier Creek.
Send message with details to claim.

Floated Glacier Creek Thursday and Sunday. No snow bridges below the put-in below the tram. Bring ice grippers. The trail is a bit icy. Cut some branches off a log across the creek as mentioned by rupe 5/11/13. No portages necessary as of Sunday. Low water at about 320 cfs. Thanks for the post rupe!

Rafted Glacier last night, Canyon is free of wood. Part by the airport does have some wood here and there, but never had to portage. Just choose the correct channel!

Most importantly, I found someone’s hoop pieces at the take out. set of 4. Appears new-ish with the blue metal pieces. Call Ryan at 907-301-1736