Getting ready to buy packraft, any suggestions?

I am about ready to order an unrigged explorer and looking any input. Plan is to use it for some backcountry hunting and fishing trips so I am going to order it without the spray deck.

Suggestions on paddles and clothing. Wondering what most use for their paddling clothing when on the water. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I am about ready to order an unrigged explorer and looking any input. Plan is to use it for some backcountry hunting and fishing trips so I am going to order it without the spray deck.

Suggestions on paddles and clothing. Wondering what most use for their paddling clothing when on the water. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

steve,

i bought this same boat last fall and had fortunately gotten quite a bit of usage out of it prior to freeze up. i can’t say enough good things really. i’m 6’2" around 210lbs and it’s a perfect fit. a guy my size (and certainly yours) could probably get away with the denali, but for the usage you’ve mentioned, i’d definitely stick with the unrigged. i got a spraydeck on mine and find it to be very useful even if you’re not in any whitewater; one thing about these boats is that you’re gonna get wet no matter what. the deck zips off completely which is nice as well; glad i got it, would be kickin’ myself had i not. i also got the splat paddle which is tough as nails, definitely recommend it.

as for clothing, i couldn’t spring for a drysuit after shellin’ out all the $$ on the boat and accessories. i don’t do much whitewater, mainly use it for fishing/exploring, pack in/float out kind of stuff. when on slower water, i wear my waders (xtra cinched waistbelt of course) and a gore-tex shell jacket. when packing in/floating out i found an inexpensive pair of gore-tex pants through cabela’s which are primarily rain pants. and the same gore-tex shell jacket. waterproofs socks are also good. i’ve got a pair of wiggy’s hip waders (really useful, pack down and weigh next to nuthin’) to wear over my boots while in the boat during longer trips; definitely helps to keep your feet dry. a good pair of neoprene gloves help as well.

say no to cotton anything (as you probably already know). synthetics or wool.

chris

Thanks for the info. My explorer arrived yesterday!! I do like the zip off spray skirt, havent had a chance to blow it up yet or sew in the seat. Disapointed as the seat is yellow and not black like in the pictures. Oh well. Ordered a four piece fiberglass paddle from REI, figured I would try that for size and later on order the splat once I figure things out.

Love snowboarding but right now I can’t wait for the snow to melt!!!

Steve