Echo Bend, Eagle River

The gauge is showing just over 3 ft at the moment, is this too low? Also anyone interested in boating in the next couple weeks? I have a couple weeks till I head back to work.

brian

Last year when I ran it a couple times and looked at it at different levels in the spring and summer. 3.5 was about the lowest that it seemed feasible, and at 4 the water was pushy.

For reference in 2014: At 3.5 you could squeeze through all of the boulders (just barely in places) minus the largest rapid, and the water was beautiful, clear, and slow, with generally one obvious channel. At 4 feet there was plenty of water, and it was cloudy, tan, and pushy.

In years past, based on earlier posts 3-3.5 were the levels to hit.

It seems there is variation in how the gauge is calibrated from year to year, so it may be too low, or really good. You might have to just check it out to know for sure. I have not been there this year.

-Justin

Echo Bend was at a fun low level on Sunday 9/27. Not too scrapey, either. The water was bluish gray and was translucent. There is a logjam that must be portaged just after the first rapid, no other wood, though. Looks like the water is coming up, so that could change. The water seemed higher than what the gauge said; it read 2.9 feet. The blurb on the gauge web page indicated that it would read higher than expected, but that didn’t seem to be the case. It felt more like 3.7 feet if the gauge were to be read at 2014 calibration; just a guess though. Albert Loop Trail is closed, but takeout access near Rapids Yurt is open.

It goes! Fun, low (LOW) water boating today! Only one log jam early on and a little butt scooting here and there. Enjoy!