Flatwater Speed

Dear All

I am thinking of doing a nice long flatwater paddle later in the year and was considering a Fjord Explorer. Realistically what sort of speeds (paddling and/or rowing) could I get out of it without killing myself ? I have had heaps of ultramarathon racing experience so I’m used to hard slogs but want to paddle fairly gently if possible. It would be carrying about 10 kgs of gear, plus my flabby butt.

Cheers

Z

As the Explorer has the longest waterline, I d say you can pull out a hull speed of 5km/h.
Standard Boots (pre2011) had ~4 Km/h.
Sven

Sven. are you refering to rowing or paddling speed in your reply? Thanks

Either. The limitation is the hull speed, not the power form!
Sven

The Denali Lama is listed as the same length as the Explorer but has a 4 inch upturn in the bow. Do you know the difference in the water line. Is the Explorer likely to track better and have less wind resistance for flat water paddling because of absence of the upturn?
thanks
BernieM

Bernie, the difference in the Waterline you can see in the specs of the boats in the European Store :slight_smile:
http://www.packrafting-store.de/Packrafts/Alpacka-Raft-Classic:::9_11.html?language=en

Happy calculating,
Sven

Sven
Thanks for the nice website. The Denali Lama is listed as 234 cm with water line of 175 cm. The difference seems to be due to the upturned stern and bow. The Explorer is the same external length as the Lama. If it perfectly straight then the maximum water line would be 234 cm or 59 cm longer than the Lama. Do you think that is close?
BernieM

Sven
Found the water line of the Explorer on your website - 210 cm. Therefore it is 35 cm longer than Lama.
Thanks for your help
BernieM