Mather Gorge (near DC)

Just had a fun little daytrip just outside DC near Great Falls National Park. If you happen to find yourself in DC for business or something take your packraft to this little destination. Go to great falls park and ditch your vehicle at the “difficult run” parking area. From there hike north on the ridgeline train until coming to mather gorge and a put in called “sandy beach”. From here you can have a very scenic little class 1 float with a little class II-maybe III play area at the very end. If you are feeling more ambitious keep hiking north until hitting fishermans put in just south of the falls and run the class 3-4 section there. Overall its a fun day trip for the many who I’m sure end up in DC for business.
pics are at
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremy.hartung/GreatFallsMatherGorge#
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, we may end up here on a during a family reunion trip. peace.

Or hike up the C&O canal and put in right below the falls. Same for Little falls

Jeremy, are you in DC? I’m in VA.

Little Falls is a great little run that’s even closer. I’ve biked from Captiol Hill to the C&O then rafted the little falls section. Put in at the trail that says Lock 6, raft down the feeder channel, and then you come out before Chain Bridge and can walk around and do the section again. Few miles of rafting for maybe a mile or two of walking.

Are either of you still located in the area? I just moved to DC and would be interested in doing some of this stuff on Potomac.

Mather Gorge is a great packraft run – the billy goat trail is a less direct but more fun way up the gorge (some scrambling) than the towpath is, plus you can scout more easily from it as well. The md/va chutes at the end are classic play spots, also Difficult Run empties out there which quite the sight.