Packraft loop around the Jemez Mtns: 2014 attempt

In the summer of 2014 I did a 6 day, 120 mile ish hike/packraft from the CDT near Cuba, NM north to the Chama river at the monastery. I inflated and ran rapids, reservoirs, and rebar for the next few days down to the confluence of the Chama and the Rio Grande. From there down the dark canyon through Bandolier and then fighting the wind across Cochiti Lake. I originally planned to hike back to my staring point from here but wildfires spreading through the Valle Caldera throughout my trip resulted in the evacuation of the village where I was going to leave my car. Instead I got dropped off at the start and took public transport home.

At the time I posted a longish trip report with lots of pictures over at backpacking light:

Fire restrictions prevented my progress any further down the Rio Grande. So after cleaning up at a great campground, I took the $3 bus to the railrunner train into Albuquerque. From there 2 hours of Amtrak travel west had me walking home from the train station with a huge smile and a 7 day packraft kit and legal pfd completely concealed in an ugly white pack (HMG 2400).