Packrafting Guide to Jackson Hole

Great rivers, creeks and lakes, many of them roadless and therefore ideal for packrafts, surround Jackson Hole. From scenic wilderness floats to steep creeking to serene mountain lakes there’s something for everyone. May through early July snowmelt creates a packrafting paradise. After the snow is all gone hike in and paddle a remote alpine lake or hone your skills on a roadside whitewater run.

To learn more go to http://forrestmccarthy.blogspot.com/2012/05/packrafting-guide-to-jackson-hole.html

Thanks Forrest for this great guide! For those interested in exploring the packrafting Jackson Hole has to offer but don’t yet own a packraft, you can rent one locally from Jackson Hole Packraft & Packraft Rentals Anywhere (http://www.jhpackraft.com). Rates start at $40 per day and drop significantly for multi-day rentals ($200/ week). Feel free to swing by our website or give Amy a call at 907-830-1016. We also ship packraft rentals to anywhere in the Lower 48 or Canada.

Just paddled Willow Creek Today. It was at bankfull, near 1,000 cfs. Spent 2 days hiking in, following bear tracks through the mud and snow, and one day paddle back to the Hoback confluence. The Lower half was full on class IV+, and that gorge was solid class V. The packraft handled it much better than my bowels did.

Any idea if its possible to do more then 5 miles of Pacific Creek? I was just up there and thought I could probably go farther up with the high water but didn’t since I wasn’t sure what I’d find.

Thanks Forrest. We used your post as our guide this weekend.

North Buffalo – More whitewater than expected. III+. Probably my favorite.
Snake Above Moose – Scenic float. Awesome views of the Tetons.
Granite – Scenic at elevation. Maybe a few III- near the bottom. We put in just below the bridge near the top as we wouldn’t have been able to float under it. There was a river wide strainer about 2 miles up from the confluence that is visible from the road. Check it out beforehand.
Hoback – We linked this with Granite. I thought the upper section from Granite to the Wildlife Viewing pullout was the better half.
Lunch Counter – Surf (and swim) practice