Rio La Venta, Chiapas, Mexico

I just finished a solo 4 day trip down the Rio La Venta in Chiapas. One word…spectacular! This section runs through the isolated Ocote Reserve. This is definitely not a beginner run and I would encourage anyone wanting to do it to go at the high water times between July and mid-November. Seriously boney Class III’s and IV’s. There are also three Class V+ that I wouldn’t even run in a hard shell kayak because of sieve and pin potential (you can portage these). The last Class IV you cannot portage as it runs through a canyon with 90 degree cliffs. If you pin your boat in this section, and it gets stuck, there is no way to retrieve it and you are still 20 river kilometers from civilization (aka you’re screwed). I’ll post a couple youtube videos I filmed below. I’ll put a movie together soon and post that as well. If anyone is interested in the logistics of this river, I’ll reply to your posts.

Also, I am running the Usamacinta on the Guatemala Border after New Years if anyone is nearby and wants to join.

Vern

Hi!

I just found your post and videos of this river. Sounds fucking amazing. I’m biking South from Alaska, now with packraft, and looking for rivers to paddle… Sounds like La Venta might be a bit above my skill level (haven’t had much experience yet…), but I was told I should check out the Lacanja and Santo Domingo rivers. Have you been on either of those? I’m right now about 100 miles West of Tuxtla, heading there tomorrow. However, I saw that Rio La Venta is on my way there… Any ideas for checkin out the river a bit? Or other rivers heading South? I’m good with class 3 but not ready to hit class IV alone yet.

Thanks for any input you have!

Scott
hicamos@gmail.com
www.spokeandwords.com

Hey!

I’m hoping to do a short trip down the La Venta, mostly to see the Arco del Tiempo (Arch of Time). Planning to hike and/or rappel in about 6-8 miles upstream of the arch. Camp at the arch. Then hike or float out. From what I’ve found, the groups that go out instead of floating the river have a fixed line they ascend from. Those who float out are in big rafts and do some serious portages. My questions are:

• Do you recall seeing any fixed line or a way to scramble out after the arch?
  • After the arch is the landslide you have to portage and then the Class IV complicado rapid. I would be going in April when the water is low, do you think Complicado would still be an issue or there’s a chance to portage?

Thanks for your help! Email is kalen.thorien@gmail.com

Hello,
Im planning a trip La Venta and can find plenty of information about the Canyon but I can’t find information about how to exit the canyon and cost. The particular exit points that I am interested in is either the Arco del Tiempo by ascending out on rope or getting a boat portable down river/at the lake ( if the water is too low).
Is there a fixed rope to climb out at the Arco? are people hire someone to drop a rope and ascenders? is it actually possible to climb out with climbing gear? If you hired someone how much did it cost?

Hello,
Im planning a trip La Venta and can find plenty of information about the Canyon but I can’t find information about how to exit the canyon and cost. The particular exit points that I am interested in is either the Arco del Tiempo by ascending out on rope or getting a boat portable down river/at the lake ( if the water is too low).
Is there a fixed rope to climb out at the Arco? are people hire someone to drop a rope and ascenders? is it actually possible to climb out with climbing gear? If you hired someone how much did it cost?

Hey!
Im Emilio from México, also planning on going to La Venta with two friends, to the Arco del Tiempo, the problem is we do not know anything, we’ve only heard good stories about those places, but not actual information on how to get there, and how to return. I would like to know the equipment we will need, we are planning on going at the end of march. We dont have a packraft but we could get it, no problem. The only problem we have is the lack of information, or do you have a contact in Chiapas that could guide us? Thank you very much for your time, hope to get a respond.

Cheers and PURA VIDA.

-Emilio S