lower rio pacuare

hey guys and gals. just got back from 3 weeks in western panama and eastern highlands of costa rica. i rolled into turrialba expecting to see plenty of other boaters but apparently that time has passed. it appears that river running had peaked about a decade ago in this region. nonetheless, i got to run the beautiful rio pacuare in february with some of the lowest water levels in the past 20 years per the local tico guides. i went out with tico’s rios and kicked them down some gas/lunch money for a lift to the put in and from the take out. tico and his son are very knowledgable and accomodating. tico has been running the pacuare for the last 20 years and has a cherry bus to take clients to the put in. the whole run had maybe about 15 or 20 rapids at class 3+, but during the wet season you better be a stud to run this river (class 4±5). i am not that stud. the 3+ was perfect for my skill level and the float itself was gorgeous. cruising under waterfalls, going through narrow canyons, seeing monkeys and sloths, seeing indigenous villages, etc. it was pretty epic. always pack your alpacka no matter where you are travelling!