River Rescue Course Sat 14 & Sun 15 May out of Hobart

Canoe Tasmania is offering a River Rescue Level 2 Course over the weekend of 14-15 May. It is actually now being run on the Derwent River and out of Hobart rather than on the Mersey (in the NW of the state) and consequently it may be of interest to Hobartians who don’t wish to travel too far. It would also be ideal and easy for interstate paddlers who wish to fly in and out of Hobart and stay in accommodation in Hobart.

Although not specific to packrafting this is the ideal course for ANYONE who travels on whitewater and paddlers of all whitewater craft are welcome. The course is being run by Alex McWhirter and Dan Hall (instructors on last year’s packrafting courses). I’ll be at the course too and am happy to car pool if that helps anyone get there.

I would certainly encourage ALL packrafters who paddle any form of rapids to regularly undertake such training and it the ideal compliment to the packraft courses that Canoe Tasmania offer. For more info check out:

http://tas.canoe.org.au/whitewater-river-rescue-2/

I just want to support Mark’s recommendation. Great instructors, great fundamental packrafting skills. Great refresher if you’ve done it all before. Alex, Dan and Mark in the same place at the same time, willing to give their best… it’s too good an opportunity to pass up. Jump on this one if you can, packrafters!

J.