Wanted - Adventurous Volunteers

Hi all,
Just wanted to pass on an invite to an info session and meeting to be held at the NPWS Office in Jindabyne on 15/10/2012. Thought it may appeal to some fellow packrafters out there.
The purpose is to provide some follow up to the ‘Willow Warriors’ adventure conservation project carried out by a few keen paddlers from the Rivers Canoe Club NSW and others last year.

Please see attached weblink for further info on some of Willow Warriors other projects. Jeff Cottrell who co-ordinated last years run through of the lower Snowy will be joining the meeting via video conference from Sydney, to outline their experiences and some of the challenges they faced from that run and elsewhere on other similar projects.

http://www.willowwarriors.org.au/

NPWS has funding this year to try and establish and assist volunteers doing ‘follow up’ woody weed control for Willows / Blackberry etc on the Lower Snowy River within Kosciuszko National Park. Our aim is to try and attract more local paddlers / adventurers / volunteers to the project for ongoing involvement and possibly future volunteer conservation projects on some of the other rivers in the park where required.

If you could please disseminate this amongst your contacts of people that you think may be possibly interested to be involved that would be appreciated.
(Sorry couldn’t get the flyer to load due to size so have just put the relevant details below)

WANTED – ADVENTUROUS VOLUNTEERS

Are you into adventure?

Do you care about the environment and the health of our rivers and National Parks?

The NSW NPWS will be holding an information session and meeting for people who want o combine their passion and skills for adventure with their passion for the environment. We are looking for people who are into canoeing, kayaking, rafting, bushwalking, fishing and camping in remote and challenging locations and interested in volunteering their time and skills to help with follow up weed control and mapping programs along the lower Snowy River within Kosciuszko National Park.

Come and learn about what has been done in the past on the Snowy River, and elsewhere by adventure conservationists such as ‘Willow Warriors’ and the River Canoe Club of NSW members. We hope to tap into our local adventurers, and discuss what we can achieve in the future with your help and our assistance.

Date: Monday 15th October, 2012.
Time: 5.30pm – 7pm (light refreshments)
Where: NPWS Office – Conference Room
Snowy River Visitor Information Centre
Kosciuszko Rd, Jindabyne.

Please RSVP for logistics and catering purposes to Rob Gibbs – Ranger Snowy River Area on Ph. 02 6450 5577 or email rob.gibbs@environment.nsw.gov.au

If you cant make the meeting but are still interested please contact Rob to register your interest or for further information.

As the flyer says, if you can’t make the 15th but are still interested in the concept please contact me and we can have a chat and I can keep you informed of progress. I will be away from the office up until 1st October, so try me after then. Hopefully I will see some of you at the meeting on the 15th.

regards

Rob Gibbs
Ranger - Pilot Area

National Parks and Wildlife Service
Office of Environment and Heritage
Department of Premier and Cabinet

Ph. 02 6450 5577
Mob. 0427 703 494
Fax. 02 6456 2291

PO Box 2228
JINDABYNE NSW 2627