All the gear and no idea

Hi guys

Two new packrafters in Sydney looking for a grade 2 or easy grade 3 river, for a last-minute trip this weekend. Has anyone got any suggestions and/or are keen to tag along let me know.

Cheers

Boomer

My weekend plans just got changed at the last minute so also want to get out there. Boomer - I’m thinking of doing Bindera to Rocky Crossing on the Barrington River Sunday. 15km section which is used for races where it is paddled in an hour, or all day for someone with my skill level… Described as a great novice section with up to Class II+ rapids. Believe the water level up there is quite good right now.

PM me if you want to go.

Hi guys

Us beginners are going to retrace the famed “Pheasants Nest to Maldon TR” trip that Darren and crew did last weekend, but with a very reduced water flow. So far we have a group of three and are meeting at the locked gate on Wilton Park Road near the exit point (see link below) at 7:30am tomorrow, Sunday morning. If anyone is keen to come along, please PM me.

Cheers

Boomer

G’day Boomer,
Welcome to the site, how did you go?

What was the level like?

Cheers,

Gus

Hey guys

Well the word of the day was “portage”. Between the Willow growing over the majority of the rapid sections and my mate and I wussing out at anything remotely big, we did spend a lot of the time carrying our rafts. Not to say that we didn’t have fun, we loved it and can’t wait for the next mission.

When Darren and crew paddled the river it was flowing at 1.0m, it was 0.49m when we went which was good for our level. I guess this mean’t that where those guys could go over some of the sections we had to walk around, which lengthened the trip. It was frustrating having to portage a lot of nice looking rapids which were completely covered with Willow.

We started at 8:30 and finished at 3:30pm so we did take it really slowly, checking all section before we paddled/portaged through. We only had one spill during the day with my mate bailing after taking a wrong line; he will say otherwise. I on the other hand stayed dry as I was too scared to fall out.

I don’t really have another river to compare against but I will give this one 6/10. it would be an 8/10 if there wasn’t Willow.

Cheers

Boomer