The Amazon

Interesting website/story/photos of a couple guys – one Brit, one Peruvian – following the Amazon on foot and of course using a packraft for crossings.

Makes Higs’ trip look tame and Skurka’s walks fun:

http://www.walkingtheamazon.com/

go to the top and click on photos

Gee you find some unusual stuff on the net…!

A

Floating the Amazon from source to sea in a packraft sounds cool and an epic adventure.

Walking seems just unnecessarily painful.

Yea, sometimes the web seems infinite, other times I can’t find what I want, but I sure don’t want to “walk the Amazon” but am amazed and inspired that these guys are persisting. Plus they have some cool photos of their mud boat as a freighter.

My friend and I are planning a trip from the start of the Amazon to the end of it in October. Any advice/tips/info would be greatly apprecaited!! We have both traveled to the Amazon river once or twice and understand the environment and hazards but would love any information anyone can give!

We will be sure to update while and after we are finished. Can’t wait to take the raft out of the country and on an epic adventure :slight_smile:

No kidding! I watched this when it came out in the UK. At one point another guy joins him for a few weeks. As they are walking through a flooded part of the jungle and as the guy’s feet are festering and rotting away, I think to myself – this might be a time to inflate those rafts you’re carrying!
I guess he took his goal of walking the Amazon seriously.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/walking-the-amazon
They love that packraft shot! - but probably only viewable in the UK

Ch

I’m off to an extremely hard-to-access jungle river in central Guyana in a couple of months, and am quite excited. It’s a tributary of the Essequibo river system, as opposed the Orinoco or Amazon. Interestingly, I’ve read that in high flood water times, all three of these river systems connect up (the Casiquare canal is the ‘connector’ between the Amazon and Orinoco), which allows fish species, giant otters, etc to move freely between them.

Having spent several months editing up my most recent solo expeditions into DVD form, I’m well and truly sick of sitting in front of the computer, and am ready to get out there to some obscure and little known jungle rivers again! The goal this time is to film jaguars, otters, tapirs and large snakes (the last anaconda they measured up this river was a little over 18 feet long). The other goal, of course, is to avoid having those botfly larvae squirming around under the surface of my skin…

Here in Australia, my remote river journeys have attracted enough attention to be premiering on television later this month (Foxtel). For you non-Aussies, the DVDs ‘Packrafting the Kimberley’ (42 minutes) and ‘Jungles of Gabon’ (20 minutes) are both on one DVD, and of course my ‘Coast of Bears’ adventure (62 minutes) is on its own DVD. Just go to the Products page of my website at www.remoteriverman.com if you are interested.

Cheers,
Kevin Casey
Remote River Man
www.remoteriverman.com